Series 430: Air Conditioning/Refrigeration
Course 435: Condensers and Cooling Towers
Covers the function, construction, and operation of both air- and water-cooled condensers and related devices. Discusses cooling towers and spray ponds, including maintenance and troubleshooting. Includes a lesson on evaporative condensers. Concludes with a discussion of water-related problems and how to solve them.
TPC Training Systems is authorized by IACET to offer 0.5 CEUs for this program.
Lesson 1 - Air-Cooled Condensers
Condenser capacity, construction, and types; Pumpdown circuit; Low-ambient controls; Receivers; Pressure-relief devices; Maintenance
- Contrast the two types of air-cooled condensers forced air.
- Describe the construction of an air-cooled condenser, including the tubes, fins, headers, and subcooling circuit.
- Name the factors that affect condenser capacity.
- Explain the effects of ambient temperature on the capacity of an air-cooled condenser.
- Describe various types of low-ambient controls for air-cooled condensers.
- Explain how spring-loaded pressure-relief valves and fusible plugs protect against possible explosions caused by high pressure.
- List the periodic maintenance procedures common to most air-cooled condensers.
Lesson 2 - Water-Cooled Condensers
Condenser types; Pressure-relief devices; Water-regulating valves; Strainers; Maintenance; Cleaning; Inspection; Troubleshooting
- Name and describe the basic types of water systems used by water-cooled condensers.
- Define the terms makeup water and fouling factor.
- Describe the construction of the various kinds of water-cooled condensers.
- Explain the purpose of the accessories used with water-cooled condensers
- Explain water-cooled condenser maintenance procedures, including inspection for leaks and chemical and mechanical cleaning.
Lesson 3 - Cooling Towers and Spray Ponds
Cooling tower and spray pond function capacity, types, controls, maintenance, and troubleshooting
- Explain the function of cooling towers and spray ponds and the factors that affect their capacities.
- Identify the basic types and construction of cooling towers and spray ponds.
- Describe the components required in a cooling-tower or spray-pond water-circulating system and explain the purpose of each.
- Describe the various devices used to control cooling-tower capacity.
- Explain cooling-tower and spray-pond maintenance procedures.
Lesson 4 - Evaporative Condensers
Refrigerant, air-circulation, and water-circulation systems; Capacity control; Freezing condition operation; Maintenance; Troubleshooting
- Identify the basic types of evaporative condensers.
- Describe the components that make up the three circulation systems in an evaporative condenser
- List the kinds of capacity controls used on evaporative condensers and explain the operation of each.
- Explain how to provide freeze protection for an evaporative condenser.
- Outline evaporative-condenser maintenance procedures.
Lesson 5 - Controlling Water-Related Problems
Chemical water treatment; Water-related problems; Causes and control of corrosion, scale, biological fouling, and wood deterioration
- Describe the three categories of water problems encountered in the water systems of water-cooled equipment.
- Name the five causes of corrosion and explain how to control them.
- Describe the three most common types of scale, their causes, and how to control them.
- List the three types of organisms that grow in water systems and explain how to control them.
- Describe the three types of wood deterioration and explain how to control them.
- Explain the operation of three chemical-feeding devices used in water systems.