Series 450: Custodial Maintenance
Course 455: Carpet and Upholstery Care
Covers the many kinds of carpet in use today. Explains the importance of preventive maintenance. Gives step-by-step explanations of the various carpet-cleaning methods available, explaining which is best to use on different types of carpet. Covers stretching, bleeding, insect attack, and many other carpet problems, and suggests remedies. Concludes with a lesson on upholstery fabrics and their care.
TPC Training Systems is authorized by IACET to offer 0.5 CEUs for this program.
Lesson 1 - Carpet Materials and Construction
Carpet construction; Types of carpets; Carpet padding and installation; Carpet color
- Name the different parts of a carpet and explain the function of each.
- Compare the natural and synthetic fibers used in carpet yarns, and list the advantages and disadvantages of each.
- Describe the construction of the major types of carpet.
- Explain why padding or cushioning is used under carpet, and describe the different padding materials, both natural and synthetic.
- Explain how problems can develop in a carpet that is not installed correctly.
Lesson 2 - Preventive Maintenance & Routine Carpet Cleaning
Dirt-catching devices; Routine vacuuming; Vacuum cleaners; Static electricity treatment; Protecting carpet yarn from crushing
- Name the sources of soil that make a carpet dirty.
- Name the common types of dirt-catching devices, and explain how each works and where it is used.
- List the steps that you should take to police an area for preventive carpet maintenance.
- Explain how weekly vacuuming differs from daily vacuuming, and tell what kind of equipment is used for each.
- Name the parts of a vacuum cleaner, and explain how the vacuum works.
- Explain how to care for carpet in germ-sensitive areas.
- List conditions that lead to static buildup, and explain how carpets can be treated to prevent it.
- Describe the devices that prevent furniture and chair legs from crushing carpet yarn.
Lesson 3 - Periodic Carpet Cleaning
Shampooing frequency, methods; Water extraction; Dry powder, foam shampooing; Wet foam shampooing; Sanitizing; Soil retardants
- List the factors that help to determine how often you should shampoo a carpet.
- Name the four most common carpet shampooing methods.
- Explain how to make an area ready for shampooing.
- Describe each of the following shampooing methods: water extraction, dry powder, dry foam, and wet foam.
- List advantages and disadvantages of each of the above shampooing methods.
- Explain how to "set the pile" of a carpet after shampooing and tell why it is important.
Lesson 4 - Carpet Care Problems
Uneven wear; Rippling; Seam problems; Shedding and pilling; Bleeding; Fading; Rapid soiling; Crushing; Mildew; Electric shocks; Insect attack; Stains; Burns; Spot repairs
- Describe several ways of dealing with uneven carpet wear.
- Define the terms stretching, buckling, and rippling.
- Describe the problems that can occur in carpet seams.
- List the carpet problems commonly handled by a custodian as well as those that require the services of an expert.
- Explain how the problems of shedding, sprouting, and pilling differ.
- Name the five most common causes of rapid carpet soiling.
- Explain how to repair crushed pile yarns, cigarette burns, and mildew in carpet.
- Explain the step-by-step procedure for removing an unknown stain from a carpet.
Lesson 5 - Upholstery Care
Upholstery fabric types; Weave and texture; Nonwoven fabric; Padding and filling materials; Routine care; Shampooing; Special problems
- List the natural and synthetic fibers most frequently used in upholstery fabrics.
- Name the tasks that you should perform as part of daily and weekly upholstery care.
- List the procedures and materials that you should use to remove stains from upholstery.
- Explain why it is important to know what padding or filling materials are underneath upholstery before you shampoo it.
- Describe the step-by-step procedure for preparing to shampoo upholstery.
- Describe wet foam, dry foam, water extraction, and liquid dry cleaning shampooing methods.
- Explain how to solve common upholstery problems, and recognize when to call an expert.