Lesson 1 - Interior Walls and Ceilings
Plasterboard construction and application; Fastening and cutting plasterboard; Corners and edges; Drywall construction and taping; Paneling; Plaster and masonry walls; Suspended tile ceilings
Learning Objectives:– Explain how to fasten single-ply plasterboard panels to the stud framing for interior walls.
– Describe the three-step procedure for cementing and taping drywall construction.
– Name the advantages of a drywall system that uses metal studs.
– Explain how to install interior plywood paneling.
– Differentiate between the three coats of plaster required for plaster wall construction.
– Identify the main parts of the framing system for suspended tile ceilings.
Lesson 2 - Laying Flooring
Concrete and wood floors; Finishing and prefinished wood floors; Underlayment; Resilient floor coverings; Ceramic tile; Wood decking
Learning Objectives:– Tell the differences between strip, block, and plank flooring.
– Explain how to lay flooring strips, keep them straight, and make adjustments when they are not straight.
– Tell how to plan and make a careful layout for installing a wood block floor.
– Give the sequence of sanding operations for a newly installed wood strip floor.
– Name the materials you can use for underlaying a resilient or ceramic floor.
– Explain how to lay a tile floor with the tile veneer method.
Lesson 3 - Stair Construction
Prefab stairs; Stairway parts, framing; Determining the height of risers, width of treads, run of stairway, and length of stringers; Railings
Learning Objectives:– Describe some of the common stairway configurations: open, closed, L-shaped, U-shaped, etc.
– Starting with the stringers, name all the parts in a stair assembly.
– Explain how to use a story pole to check stair calculations.
– Tell how to anchor a flight of stairs.
– Name the guidelines for constructing handrails or railings in stairways.
Lesson 4 - Interior Doors and Door Jambs
Hinge construction, operation, and installation; Constructing a door jamb; Installing doors; Locking devices for doors
Learning Objectives:– Explain how hollow-core, fiber-core and solid-core doors differ in construction.
– Tell how to remove a door hung on hinges with fixed pins. Also with loose pins.
– Give the guidelines for placing three hinges on the edges of a door.
– Describe how to install a single-swing door.
– Differentiate between pocket-type and bypass-type sliding doors.
– Name a few of the types of locks used on interior doors.
Lesson 5 - Installing Interior Trim
Types of molding; Joints; Using a miter box; Installing door trim, window trim, and baseboards
Learning Objectives:– Differentiate between a base shoe molding and a baseboard molding.
– Give the uses of cove, crown, and half-round moldings.
– Describe how to make a scarf joint and coped joint.
– Demonstrate how to cut a 45° miter with a miter box.
– Tell how to install the casing around a door opening
– Explain how to construct the interior casing for a window.