Lesson 1 - Microprocessor Structure
CPU; Microcontrollers; Program counter; Branching; Instruction decoders; Subroutines; Stack pointer; ALU; Status bits; System clocks
Learning Objectives:– Describe the types of microprocessor elements and their functions.
– Describe the types of registers that a microprocessor system typically has.
– Identify the different types of microprocessor clocks and their functions.
– Describe typical microprocessor bus systems.
Lesson 2 - Bus Structures
Bus system block diagrams and schematics; Backplanes; Data, address, control, and serial buses; Multiplexing; Bus drivers and standards
Learning Objectives:– Identify the different types of microprocessor buses.
– Discuss the functions of the different microprocessor system buses.
– Describe the functions of the bus drivers.
– Identify the various industry standards for microprocessor system buses.
Lesson 3 - Memory Devices
Main memory; Memory-CPU communication; Expanding memories; Memory characteristics
Learning Objectives:– Discuss the various types of memories and their characteristics.
– Describe the different ways in which the CPU and memory communicate.
– Explain how single-chip memories are organized.
– Describe different memory-expanding characteristics necessary for microprocessor systems.
Lesson 4 - Low-Level Computer Languages
Data representation; Programming models; Operation codes; Addressing modes; Data-handling instructions; Interrupts; Memory-mapped I/O
Learning Objectives:– Identify the three levels of computer programming languages.
– Define programming models and memory maps.
– Discuss the purpose and function of operation codes.
– Describe addressing modes as they relate to operation codes.
– Explain what machine language and assembly languages are and how they work.
Lesson 5 - High-Level Computer Languages
Pros and cons of high-level languages; Compilers; Interpreters; Operating systems; Debuggers
Learning Objectives:– Describe the characteristics and uses of high-level languages.
– Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of several popular high-level languages.
– Explain how compilers and interpreters work.
– Describe the functions of an operating system.