Lesson 1 - Introduction to Plumbing
Codes and standards; Stacks; Traps; Connection methods; Sewer system; Venting system; Plumbing fixtures; Water supply and distribution
Learning Objectives:– Describe a basic plumbing system.
– Name the parts of a DWV system and explain their functions.
– Explain the purpose of the different elements in an industrial cold water supply and distribution system.
– Describe a basic system for industrial hot water supply and distribution.
– Describe three basic systems for boosting in coming water pressure.
Lesson 2 - Plumbing Fixtures
Water closets; Leaks and stoppages; Urinals; Lavatories; Trim and faucets; Sinks; Showers; Drinking fountains
Learning Objectives:– Describe six lavatory categories and compare the different flushing systems used in water closets and urinals.
– Explain the operation of different types of faucets.
– Give examples of industrial showers, sinks, and drinking fountains.
Lesson 3 - Sanitary Drainage Systems
Materials used; Fittings and joints; Piping; Subdrains; Floor drains; Leaks; Stoppages; Indirect wastes; Cleanouts
Learning Objectives:– State the function of sanitary drainage systems and describe the materials, fittings, and joints used in them.
– Discuss the installation and connection of the piping components of a sanitary drainage system.
– Explain the purpose of floor drains and cleanouts, and where they are needed.
– Tell how to repair leaks and clear stoppages in sanitary piping.
Lesson 4 - Vent Systems
Pipe materials, fittings, and joints; Piping; Fixture trap vents; Types of vents; Vent terminals
Learning Objectives:– List the components of a vent system and explain their functions.
– Discuss the materials used for vent pipes, fittings, and joints.
– Explain the importance of air pressure and water flow in DWV systems.
– Discuss the requirements for the installation of piping in a vent system.
– Describe several types of vent system and their applications.
Lesson 5 - Storm Water Drainage
Materials; Fittings and joints; Piping; Subdrain system; Site drainage system; Roof drains; Expansion and contraction; Subsoil drainage
Learning Objectives:– Explain the function and installation of the elements in storm water and site drainage systems.
– Name the materials, fittings, and joints used in storm water and site drainage systems.
– Describe how the piping components of storm water and site drainage systems should be installed.
– Compare six different roof drains and give details of their installation.
Lesson 6 - Potable Water Distribution
Materials, fittings, and joints; Pressure and velocity; Hydraulic shock; Limiting flow and pressure; Pressure-boosting systems; Contamination
Learning Objectives:– Tell how the separate components of a potable water distribution system work together in its operation.
– List the materials suitable for use in a potable water system, the fittings used with them, and the factors to be considered in selecting them.
– Discuss the effects of water pressure and flow in a potable system.
– Give installation details for piping and valves in a potable eater system.
– Explain how a potable water system can be contaminated and how contamination can be prevented.
Lesson 7 - Hot Water Distribution
Materials, fittings, and joints; Water heaters; Safety requirements; Circulation; Temperature; Expansion and contraction
Learning Objectives:– Explain the selection of materials and the installation of components for a hot water system.
– Describe the operation and application of different water heaters.
– Explain the safety requirements for hot water tanks and heaters.
– Describe a hot water circulation system, tell when it must be installed, and explain the advantages of strip heaters.
– Tell how water temperature affects the equipment and layout of a hot water distribution system.
Lesson 8 - Valves
Gate, globe, check, quarter-turn, plug, ball, and butterfly valves; Materials; Applications
Learning Objectives:– Compare the function and applications of plumbing system valves.
– Tell how the main types of valves end connections.
– Compare the different types of valve end connections.
– Name the factors to be considered in the selection of materials for valves.
Lesson 9 - Piping Assembly Procedures
Cast iron soil piping; Brass, steel piping; Wrenches; Copper tubing; Plastic piping
Learning Objectives:– List three joints used in iron piping and tell how to make them.
– Explain how to assemble screwed and flanged joints in brass and steel piping.
– Give example of the proper use of different pipe wrenches and vises.
– Tell how to assemble copper tubing with soldered, compression, and flared joints.
– Review the procedures for making joints in PVC and CPVC piping.
Lesson 10 - Maintaining Plumbing Systems
Maintaining fixtures, water heaters, and waste systems; Opening clogged drains; Maintaining valves; Insulation; Leak repair
Learning Objectives:– Name the chief points involved in the care and correct use of hand tools.
– Describe how to open the clogs and repair leaks in plumbing fixtures.
– Compare maintenance procedures for different types of valves.
– Tell how to clear stoppages and repair leaks in the drainage system.
– Explain the maintenance of water heaters, pumps, and pipe installation.