Lesson 1 - Introduction to Flat Roof Systems
Structural deck; Wood, concrete, and steel decks; Vapor barrier; Thermal insulation; Waterproofing materials; Aggregate; Flood coats; Walkways
Learning Objectives:– Name and define the four basic components that make up a flat roof system.
– Explain the differences among a pre-stressed concrete deck, a pre-cast deck, and a reinforced deck.
– Explain the functions of a vapor barrier.
– Tell why thermal insulation is applied above deck in some applications, and below deck in others.
– List three benefits of coating a flat roof with aggregate or crushed slag.
Lesson 2 - Roof-Related Components
Base and counter flashings; Flashings for vents; Irregular roof penetrations; Expansion joints; Drainage systems; Parapet walls; Scuppers
Learning Objectives:– Explain how a base flashing and a counter flashing work together to protect a roof.
– Tell how and why a hot vent is usually flashed differently from a cold vent.
– Name three roof conditions that make it necessary to install expansion joints.
– Describe how the components of a flat roof drainage system work together
– Tell how to keep moisture out of parapet walls.
Lesson 3 - Causes of Common Roof Problems
Roofing membrane failure; Bare spots; Blisters; Punctures; Splits; Dirt and debris; Alligatoring; Installation problems; Ponding; Damp insulation
Learning Objectives:– Describe the causes of blisters, bare spots, and punctures.
– Explain how dirt and debris create maintenance problems on flat roofs.
– Name the most common reasons for vent flashing failure.
– List the steps to take to prevent water from ponding on a flat roof.
– Tell how to set heavy equipment on a flat roof without damaging the membrane.
Lesson 4 - Roof Inspection
Selecting an inspector; Making the inspection; Hidden trouble; Moisture in the roof
Learning Objectives:– Tell what a roofing bond or guarantee usually covers and doesn't cover.
– List the materials and information that a roof inspector should have for his guidance.
– Describe two ways of telling whether the roofing bitumen is asphalt or coal tar.
– Explain how water can seep through roof penetrations, pitch pockets, and parapet walls.
– Describe a simple means for measuring the moisture content in a roof system.
Lesson 5 - Preventive Maintenance and Repair
Maintaining the roofing membrane; Flashings, pitch pockets, drains, gutters, and parapet walls; Emergency repairs; Snow and ice; Safety
Learning Objectives:– Name the basic materials that should be stocked for making roof repairs.
– Tell how to repair a split membrane if sealing tape isn't available.
– Describe how to repair a hole in a base flashing.
– Explain how moisture can cause a parapet wall to crack and crumble.
– Explain how to channel a roof leak to a floor drain.
– Describe how to use tools, ladders, and hoists safely when repairing roofs.
Lesson 6 - Single-Ply Roofing
Thermoplastic polymers; Elastomers; Modified bitumen; Roof-laying methods; Installation and maintenance; Inspection checklist
Learning Objectives:– Name and describe the three types of single-ply roofing materials.
– Detail the roof-laying methods used with each of these types.
– Identify actions that would void a typical roof warranty and explain why it is important to keep the warranty in effect.
– Explain the six key points that should be checked in the inspection of a single-ply roof.