Lesson 1 - Rest Room Basics
Rest room floors, walls, and ceilings; Plumbing fixtures; Sinks; Toilets; Showers and tubs; Hospital, food service rest rooms
Learning Objectives:– List the three kinds of rest room surfaces that you must clean, and tell how to clean each type.
– Describe the different rest room flooring materials, and tell how to recognize and clean each one.
– Describe the common types of walls and ceilings in rest rooms, and tell how to care for each one.
– Name the common types of rest room plumbing fixtures, and describe the features of each.
– Describe the differences among rest rooms in different kinds of buildings.
Lesson 2 - Routine Rest Room Cleaning
Cleaning supplies; Clearing and blocking a rest room; Removing trash; Restocking; Cleaning plumbing fixtures and floors; Equipment care
Learning Objectives:– Explain how to gather and prepare supplies needed for routine cleaning tasks.
– Explain how to clear and block a rest room for daily cleaning.
– Explain how to remove trash from a rest room's trash cans, sanitary napkin disposals, and ashtrays.
– Explain how to restock paper products and hand soap.
– List the correct sequence of steps for cleaning the surfaces of a rest room.
– Explain daily dry cleaning and wet cleaning procedures for above-floor surfaces of a rest room.
– Explain procedures for daily cleaning of a rest room floor.
Lesson 3 - Cleaning Plumbing Fixtures
Equipment and chemicals for cleaning sinks, toilets, showers, and tubs; How to clean
Learning Objectives:– Explain safety precautions that you must take to protect yourself when cleaning plumbing fixtures.
– List the equipment and chemicals needed for cleaning sinks.
– Explain the proper procedure for cleaning sinks.
– List the equipment and chemicals needed for cleaning toilets and urinals.
– Explain the proper procedure for cleaning toilets and urinals.
– List the equipment and chemicals needed for cleaning showers and tubs.
– Explain the proper procedure for cleaning showers and tubs.
Lesson 4 - Periodic Rest Room Cleaning
Rest room ceilings, walls, and partitions; Graffiti removal; Pressure washing; Stripping and refinishing
– Tell how often to clean rest room ceilings, walls, and partitions.
– Explain how to wash rest room ceilings by hand and with a machine.
– Tell which ceilings must be vacuumed and explain how to vacuum ceilings.
– Explain how to remove graffiti from rest room walls, and how to wash rest room walls and partitions.
– Tell how to scrub, pressure wash, strip, and refinish a rest room floor.
– Explain the difference between scrubbing and/or pressure washing a rest room floor that has a drain and one that does not.
Lesson 5 - Rest Room Disinfection
Germ size, growth, movement, and transfer; Chemicals that kill germs; Kinds of cleaner/disinfectants; Aseptic cleaning
Learning Objectives:– Describe germs in terms of size and reproduction.
– Tell what conditions germs need to live, grow, and multiply, and relate these conditions to rest rooms.
– Explain how germs move from one place to another in a rest room.
– List the kinds of disinfectants that kill germs, or stop them from growing.
– Contrast resident and transient odors in a rest room, and explain how to prevent resident odors.
– Explain how, why, and when to use deodorants in a rest room.
– Tell why disinfection must be done, how often it should be done, and how to do it correctly.