Lesson 1 - Using the Dividing Head
Indexing; Dividing head; Indexing fractions of a turn and parts of a degree; Sector arms; Selecting an index plate; Angular and differential indexing
Learning Objectives:– Describe indexing and its uses.
– Identify the parts of a dividing head.
– List the four types of indexing you can do with a dividing head.
– Explain how to use sector arms to index fractions of a turn.
– Select the right index plate for the job.
Lesson 2 - Dividing Head Setup
Dividing head center, driver, and chuck; Milling hexagons; Side and straddle milling; Setting up the dividing head; Indexing the workpiece
Learning Objectives:– Mount a dividing head on a milling machine table.
– Mount work between a dividing head and footstock.
– Mount work in a dividing head chuck.
– Index and side mill or straddle mill a hexagonal workpiece.
– Use the dividing head to index a series of holes in a circle.
Lesson 3 - Milling Spur Gears
Milling spur gear teeth; Concentricity; Aligning the workpiece; Setting up the dividing head; Indexing with a rotary table; Gear tooth calipers; Helical milling; Helix angle and pitch
Learning Objectives:– Index spur gear teeth on a gear blank.
– Use formulas to compute gear tooth dimensions.
– Select the correct cutter for specific spur gear tooth dimensions.
– Explain how to use a rotary table.
– Use the measuring over pins technique to check the dimensions of gears.
– Define the terms helix, helix lead, helix angle, and helix pitch.
Lesson 4 - Helical Milling
Using idler gears; Milling helical flutes; Indexing; Selecting and aligning the cutter; Setting depth of cut; Milling a helical gear
Learning Objectives:– Use change gears to vary the lead of the milling machine.
– Describe the purpose of idler gears.
– Compute the lead of a helix.
– Index and mill helical teeth on a cutter.
– Index and mill helical gears
Lesson 5 - Milling Cams
Cam functions; Nonpositive and positive cam systems; Uniform motion, harmonic cam systems; Incremental-cut method
Learning Objectives:– Describe positive and nonpositive cam systems.
– Define radial cam terms such as cam lobe, uniform rise, cam rise, and cam lead.
– Mill a uniform-rise cam.
– Mill a short-lead cam.
– Mill a multilobe cam.
– Explain how to use the incremental-cut method to mill a nonuniform rise cam.