Lesson 1: Rigging Introduction
Terms & Definitions; Old Sayings; Hitch Terms; Hitch Types; Load Control; Wire Rope Slings; Web Sling Hitch Capacities; Adjustable Hitch; Sling Selection by Material Type; Hook Loading; Shackle Use; OSHA Sling Law; Rigging with Chain Slings; Swivel Hoist Rings; Rigging Block Use & Inspection; Wedge Socket Use & Inspection
– Become familiarized with the terms regularly used in rigging applications and inspections.
– Understand the principles behind basic rigging theory.
– Identify different pieces of rigging hardware.
– Understand the different applications for various pieces of rigging equipment.
Lesson 2: Rigging Inspection
Wire Rope Slings; Chain Slings; Synthetic Web Slings; Roundslings; Synthetic Rope Slings; Shackles; Swivel Hoist Rings; Eye Bolts; Master Links; Chainfalls; Come-a-longs; Inspection Form; Sling Protection; Rigging Storage
– Recognize and evaluate field damaged rigging gear samples.
– Understand and apply the guideline provided by established recognized industry standards.
Lesson 3: Rigging Selection
Rigging Capacities; Rigging Selection Workshops; Sling Length & Capacity; Three-Leg Bridle Selection; What is Under Rigged
– Select appropriate slings and rigging hardware based on anticipated loading and rigging method.
– Complete rigging capacity workshops to reveal working load limit of selected rigging configurations.
Lesson 4: Load Handling Activities
Pinch Points & Hazard Recognition; Blocking a Load; Overhead Crane Hand Signals; Mobile Crane Hand Signals; Taglines; Load Path; Signaller Path; Tagliner Path; Powerlines; Personnel Protection; Standard Lift Plan
– Recognize common load handling hazards.
– Identify and apply blocking practices, crane hand signals, and path of travel.
– Understand the completion process of a basic lift plan.