Covers tubing specifications, materials, and fittings. Explains procedures used for handling, bending, cutting, and installing tubing. Gives basics of tubing in a hydraulic system. Describes hose systems and their functions. Concludes with gaskets, sealants, and adhesives. This course has no prerequisites. Tubing and Hose System Maintenance is available in online maintenance training and course manual formats.
TPC Training is authorized by IACET to offer 0.5 CEUs for this program.
Review a full course list for Mechanical Systems Technician
Lesson 1 - Tubing Fundamentals
Tubing specifications and materials; Fittings; Handling, cutting, bending, sawing, filing, and deburring tubing; Calculating tubing length
– Compare and contrast tubing and pipe.– List factors to be considered when selecting tubing for a specific application.– State a common application of various tubing materials.– Describe various fittings and tell how to select the proper fitting for a given tube.– Tell why is it sometimes necessary to anneal tubing.– List the steps to follow when cutting, sawing, and deburring tubing.– Explain how to calculate tubing length accurately.– List the steps involved in bending a given length of tubing.
Lesson 2 - Installing Tubing
Determining size; Soldered, brazed, flared, and flareless fittings; Flaring tubing; Installing compression fittings; Supports; Maintenance
– Define the service conditions that must be taken into account when selecting tubing.– List the properties and typical uses of various types of fittings.– Explain the procedures involved in soldering and brazing.– Name several types of flaring tools and explain how they are used.– Explain how to install flared and flareless fittings.– Tell how and why tubing systems should be well supported.– List common causes of tubing system problems and their solutions.
Lesson 3 - Hydraulic Tubing Systems
Hydraulic line components; Control devices; Selecting tubing and fittings; Installing, maintaining, and troubleshooting hydraulic tubing systems
– Explain the principles of force, pressure, and area as applied to hydraulics.– Discuss hydraulic fluids, hydraulic circuits, and hydraulic line components.– Explain how to select the proper tubing and fittings for hydraulic systems.– Describe maintenance and troubleshooting procedures for hydraulic tubing systems.
Lesson 4 - Hose Systems
Hose construction and fitting; Measuring assembly length; Calculating hose length for bends; Installation; Testing; Inspection; Maintenance
– Discuss the three most common applications for hoses in industry.– Describe hose fitting classifications and installation techniques.– Explain how to calculate hose lengths for bends.– Describe the methods of testing, inspection, and maintaining hose.
Lesson 5 - Gaskets, Sealants, and Adhesives
Gasket materials; Critical dimensions; Making and installing a gasket; Preparing contact surfaces; Coatings and sealants; Gasket replacement
– Identify the types and uses of gasket materials.– Name the critical dimensions of a flanged pipe joint gasket.– List and explain the three characteristics of contact surfaces that must be considered prior to the installation of a gasket.– Explain the uses of gasket coatings, tapes, and strips.– Describe the application of sealants and adhesives in gasket joints.
↺ Back to Industrial Mechanical Maintenance Applications Online Training Courses Courses