Covers installation and maintenance procedures for large plant equipment. The online course considers factors affecting proper installation in detail, from preparatory relocation of underground piping and wiring, through equipment anchoring, aligning, and test runs. This course has no prerequisites. Equipment Installation is available in online maintenance training and course manual formats.
TPC Training is authorized by IACET to offer 0.5 CEUs for this program.
Review a full course list for Building Maintenance Technician
Lesson 1 - Preparing the Site
Relocating underground piping, wiring, and cables; Barricading the work area; Removing excavated materials; Foundations and footings; Reinforced concrete; Safety precautions for excavating
– Tell who plans the installation of new equipment and list the steps involved.– Define the terms foundation and footing.– Tell which type of ground will support the most weight.– Explain how steel rods are held in position when pouring a concrete footing.– Name the best materials for filling around a foundation.– Explain how to protect concrete that might come into contact with oil or chemicals.– Tell how long new concrete must sit before equipment is installed on it.
Lesson 2 - Vibration Control and Anchoring
Selecting anchors and isolators; Isolator mounts; Anchor bolts; Using power hammers; Grouting
– Define vibration and tell how it enters and leaves equipment.– Tell what type of isolation is best to use on sensitive testing instruments.– Explain how to isolate anchor bolts when mounting equipment on pads.– Tell what type of wrench to use for tightening anchor bolts.– Name the best tool for drilling anchor bolt holes in concrete.– Tell why the bases of production and processing equipment should be grouted.– Explain why you must not use a concrete mix to grout anchor bolts.
Lesson 3 - Moving and Setting
Uncrating; Relocating; Lifting; Raising with jacks and slings; Crowbars; Making the move; Personal safety
– Explain the procedures involved in relocating existing equipment.– Tell two things you must know before lifting equipment with a hoist.– List three things to consider when selecting a jack.– Explain the operation and uses of a roller skid.– Tell where to find a floor¹s allowable load.
Lesson 4 - Leveling and Aligning
Leveling devices; Wedges and shims; Checking alignment; Aligning equipment on the foundation; Alignment screws; Aligning machine tools
– Explain the correct way to handle a master precision level.– Explain how to check the accuracy of a level.– Name the greatest enemy of precision tools.– Explain how to level V-shaped ways.– Tell which leveling device is used most often on small equipment.– Name three tools commonly used to check alignment.– Tell how to set an alignment screw to prevent its movement.
Lesson 5 - Checking and Test Running
Electric, hydraulic, and pneumatic connections; Coolant systems; Safety devices; Settings and adjustments; Making the test run; Safety
– Explain how to test for the presence of moisture in electrical equipment.– Tell what device is commonly used to prevent excessive pressure in a hot water heater.– Explain the function of a pressure regulating valve.– List the steps to take before initial equipment startup.– Tell the usual cause of excessive temperature during equipment startup.
↺ Back to Rigging & Equipment Installation Online Training Courses Courses