Lesson 1 - Measuring Conductivity
Ion concentration; Conductivity probes; Probe, liquid standard, and wire loop calibration; Grab samples; Stack gas analyzers; Maintenance
Learning Objectives:– Define conductivity and discuss the basic principles governing conductivity.
– Compare the operation of electrode probes and inductive probes.
– Describe two procedures for calibrating conductivity probes.
– Discuss proper installation and maintenance practices for conductivity probes.
– Discuss the operation of stack gas analyzers.
Lesson 2 - Measuring pH and ORP
Temperature and pH; pH and ORP reference and measurement electrodes; Calibration; Probe installation, mounts, and maintenance
Learning Objectives:– Describe pH and ORP measurement processes.
– Describe the instruments used for the measurement of pH and ORP.
– Discuss calibration procedures for pH and ORP measurement instruments.
– Discuss general installation and maintenance procedures for pH and ORP measurement instruments.
Lesson 3 - Optical Measurements
Transmission-type analyzers; Turbidimeter; Nephelometers; Refractometers; Capacity analyzers; Calibration, installation, and maintenance
Learning Objectives:– Describe the components that make up an optical analyzer.
– Compare procedures for calibrating an optical analyzer with standards, with grab samples, and electronically.
– Discuss installation considerations and basic maintenance procedures for an optical analyzer.
Lesson 4 - Measuring Products of Combustion
Gas, oxygen, carbon dioxide, and carbon monoxide sensors; Calibration; Maintenance
Learning Objectives:– Identify the main components in the combustion process.
– Describe the various kinds of instruments used for measuring the products of combustion.
– Discuss the principles of operation of instruments that measure the products of combustion.
– Describe the basic maintenance procedures for instruments that measure the products of combustion.
– Discuss the various sampling techniques for measuring the products of combustion.
Lesson 5 - Chromatography
Chromatograph operation; Gas and liquid chromatography; System valves; Detectors; Chromatograms; Calibration and maintenance
Learning Objectives:– Discuss the principles of chromatograph operation.
– Describe four kinds of detectors used with chromatographs.
– Describe four kinds of liquid chromatographs.
– Explain how to read a chromatogram.
– Discuss chromatograph calibration techniques and identify variables that can affect chromatograph accuracy.
– Discuss chromatograph maintenance considerations.