Lesson 1 - Preparing the Site
Relocating underground piping, wiring, and cables; Barricading the work area; Removing excavated materials; Foundations and footings; Reinforced concrete; Safety precautions for excavating
Learning Objectives:– Tell who plans the installation of new equipment and list the steps involved.
– Define the terms foundation and footing.
– Tell which type of ground will support the most weight.
– Explain how steel rods are held in position when pouring a concrete footing.
– Name the best materials for filling around a foundation.
– Explain how to protect concrete that might come into contact with oil or chemicals.
– Tell how long new concrete must sit before equipment is installed on it.
Lesson 2 - Vibration Control and Anchoring
Selecting anchors and isolators; Isolator mounts; Anchor bolts; Using power hammers; Grouting
Learning Objectives:– Define vibration and tell how it enters and leaves equipment.
– Tell what type of isolation is best to use on sensitive testing instruments.
– Explain how to isolate anchor bolts when mounting equipment on pads.
– Tell what type of wrench to use for tightening anchor bolts.
– Name the best tool for drilling anchor bolt holes in concrete.
– Tell why the bases of production and processing equipment should be grouted.
– Explain why you must not use a concrete mix to grout anchor bolts.
Lesson 3 - Moving and Setting
Uncrating; Relocating; Lifting; Raising with jacks and slings; Crowbars; Making the move; Personal safety
Learning Objectives:– Explain the procedures involved in relocating existing equipment.
– Tell two things you must know before lifting equipment with a hoist.
– List three things to consider when selecting a jack.
– Explain the operation and uses of a roller skid.
– Tell where to find a floor¹s allowable load.
Lesson 4 - Leveling and Aligning
Leveling devices; Wedges and shims; Checking alignment; Aligning equipment on the foundation; Alignment screws; Aligning machine tools
Learning Objectives:– Explain the correct way to handle a master precision level.
– Explain how to check the accuracy of a level.
– Name the greatest enemy of precision tools.
– Explain how to level V-shaped ways.
– Tell which leveling device is used most often on small equipment.
– Name three tools commonly used to check alignment.
– Tell how to set an alignment screw to prevent its movement.
Lesson 5 - Checking and Test Running
Electric, hydraulic, and pneumatic connections; Coolant systems; Safety devices; Settings and adjustments; Making the test run; Safety
Learning Objectives:– Explain how to test for the presence of moisture in electrical equipment.
– Tell what device is commonly used to prevent excessive pressure in a hot water heater.
– Explain the function of a pressure regulating valve.
– List the steps to take before initial equipment startup.
– Tell the usual cause of excessive temperature during equipment startup.