Lesson 1 - Power Sawing
Power hacksaw; Vertical and horizontal bandsaw; Band installation; Setup; Making the cut; Safety; Filing; Internal cutting; Welding the band
Learning Objectives:– List the three main types of power saws commonly used in maintenance machine shops and describe their appropriate uses.
– Explain the primary difference between a hacksaw and a bandsaw.
– Demonstrate how to install the band on a horizontal bandsaw.
– Demonstrate how to set up a workpiece and make a cut on a horzontal bandsaw.
– Describe the safety precautions to be taken when working with a vertical bandsaw.
– Explain how to make an internal cut using the vertical bandsaw.
– Demonstrate how to reweld the band of a vertical bandsaw.
Lesson 2 - Drilling Operations
Drill press types and components; Sample drill press project-preparation, drilling corner, mounting, dowel holes, sawing out the center
Learning Objectives:– Name three types of drilling machines in common machine shop use.
– List the main features of a sensitive drill press.
– Describe the factors used to select the best drill for a given job.
– Describe correct, safe practices for changing drill bits.
– Explain how to achieve the most efficient order of drill press operations.
– Demonstrate how to set a workpiece perfectly level on a drill press table.
– Demonstrate how to select the correct speeds and feed rates for a drill press.
Lesson 3 - Operating a Horizontal Shaper
Shaping machines; Shaper tables; Tool head and clapper box; Cutting tools; Work-holding devices; Sample project; Shaping slants and slots
Learning Objectives:– List four specific uses for a horizontal shaper.
– Describe the safety precautions to be taken when working with or around a shaper.
– Demonstrate how to mount a block-shaped workpiece in a shaper vise.
– Explain how to calculate and set the proper stroke rate on a shaper.
– Demonstrate how to set length of stroke and correctly position the ram over the workpiece.
– Demonstrate how to indicate-in on a horizontal shaper.
Lesson 4 - Grinding Operations
Surface grinder; Preparation; Grinding basic flat, parallel surfaces; Cylindrical grinder; Grinding parallel diameters and square shoulders
Learning Objectives:– Explain the purpose of a surface grinder
– Demonstrate how to dress and true a grinding wheel.
– Demonstrate how to set up a workpiece on a surface grinder, and grind its surfaces to specified dimensions.
– Explain the purpose of a cylindrical grinder.
– Demonstrate how to set up a workpiece between centers on a cylindrical grinder.
– Describe the processes of traverse grinding, plunge grinding, and bumping the shoulder.
– Calculate the rpm settings for the wheel of a cylindrical grinder and for the workpiece, given the sfpm.
– Describe safety procedures for both types of grinders.
Lesson 5 - Boring Mill Operations
Horizontal boring mill types; Boring tools and cutters; Setup and alignment; Holding the workpiece; Trial cut; Mill operations
Learning Objectives:– Describe three different types of horizontal boring mills.
– Explain the purpose of a rotary table, a line boring bar, slot blocks, a drawbolt, and a continuous-feed (cross-slide) head.
– Explain how a boring bar is aligned on center of an existing hole in the workpiece.
– Describe how a facing operation works on a horizontal boring mill.