Lesson 1 - Tubing Fundamentals
Tubing specifications and materials; Fittings; Handling, cutting, bending, sawing, filing, and deburring tubing; Calculating tubing length
Learning Objectives:– Compare and contrast tubing and pipe.
– List factors to be considered when selecting tubing for a specific application.
– State a common application of various tubing materials.
– Describe various fittings and tell how to select the proper fitting for a given tube.
– Tell why is it sometimes necessary to anneal tubing.
– List the steps to follow when cutting, sawing, and deburring tubing.
– Explain how to calculate tubing length accurately.
– List the steps involved in bending a given length of tubing.
Lesson 2 - Installing Tubing
Determining size; Soldered, brazed, flared, and flareless fittings; Flaring tubing; Installing compression fittings; Supports; Maintenance
Learning Objectives:– Define the service conditions that must be taken into account when selecting tubing.
– List the properties and typical uses of various types of fittings.
– Explain the procedures involved in soldering and brazing.
– Name several types of flaring tools and explain how they are used.
– Explain how to install flared and flareless fittings.
– Tell how and why tubing systems should be well supported.
– List common causes of tubing system problems and their solutions.
Lesson 3 - Hydraulic Tubing Systems
Hydraulic line components; Control devices; Selecting tubing and fittings; Installing, maintaining, and troubleshooting hydraulic tubing systems
Learning Objectives:– Explain the principles of force, pressure, and area as applied to hydraulics.
– Discuss hydraulic fluids, hydraulic circuits, and hydraulic line components.
– Explain how to select the proper tubing and fittings for hydraulic systems.
– Describe maintenance and troubleshooting procedures for hydraulic tubing systems.
Lesson 4 - Hose Systems
Hose construction and fitting; Measuring assembly length; Calculating hose length for bends; Installation; Testing; Inspection; Maintenance
Learning Objectives:– Discuss the three most common applications for hoses in industry.
– Describe hose fitting classifications and installation techniques.
– Explain how to calculate hose lengths for bends.
– Describe the methods of testing, inspection, and maintaining hose.
Lesson 5 - Gaskets, Sealants, and Adhesives
Gasket materials; Critical dimensions; Making and installing a gasket; Preparing contact surfaces; Coatings and sealants; Gasket replacement
Learning Objectives:– Identify the types and uses of gasket materials.
– Name the critical dimensions of a flanged pipe joint gasket.
– List and explain the three characteristics of contact surfaces that must be considered prior to the installation of a gasket.
– Explain the uses of gasket coatings, tapes, and strips.
– Describe the application of sealants and adhesives in gasket joints.