Lesson 1 - Introduction to Semiconductors
Electron flow; Semiconductor materials, structure, and doping; Junction diodes; Diode characteristic curves and specifications; LEDs; Photoelectric devices
Learning Objectives:– Discuss the basic structure of a semiconductor atom and the movement of free electrons and holes.
– Discuss the purification and doping of semi-conductors.
– Describe the p-type region, n-type region, and junction of a pn junction diode.
– Discuss the characteristic curves and specification ratings of a diode.
– Describe the operation of a light-emitting diode, a photoconductive device, and a photovoltaic device.
Lesson 2 - Environmental Conditions
Temperature protection; Static electricity; Wrist straps; Line power conditioning; Radio frequency and electromagnetic interference
Learning Objectives:– Discuss the importance of various environmental conditions to semiconductor operation.
– Discuss the effect of ESD on semiconductor devices and list several ways of preventing ESD in any work area.
– Discuss the requirements of a static-free workstation, and the proper techniques for using tools at the workstation.
– Describe ways to minimize ESD problems during packing and shipping.
– Explain how power conditioning prevents line power problems.
– Describe ways of preventing damage from radio frequency interference (RFI) and electromagnetic interference (EMI).
Lesson 3 - Printed Circuit Boards
Materials for boards and conductors; Single-, double-sided, and multilayer PCBs; Mounting components; What is Solder; Soldering; PCB connectors
– Discuss the advantages of PCBs over direct wiring.
– Explain why both flexible boards and rigid boards are used for printed circuits, and discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each.
– Explain how single-sided, double-sided, and multilayer boards are made.
– Describe the three classes of surface mount assemblies.
– Compare various soldering methods and discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each.
– What is Solder?
– Describe PCB connectors and mountings.
– Discuss PCB repair techniques and limitations.
Lesson 4 - Transistors and Integrated Circuits
Transistor purpose and structure; Symbols; Performance curves; Transistor connections, characteristics, and specifications; ICs
Learning Objectives:– Describe the differences between an npn transistor and a pnp transistor and identify the schematic symbol for each.
– Discuss transistor performance in the active region, saturation region, and cutoff region.
– Explain how the three kinds of transistor connections affect circuit values.
– Discuss four common transistor characteristics.
Lesson 5 - Packages and Performance Analysis
Lead identification; Mounting components; Replacement methods; Maximum ratings; Transistor operating points; characteristics
Learning Objectives:– Describe several kinds of semiconductor packages.
– Explain how to identify leads.
– Describe methods for mounting components on PCBs and chassis.
– Explain how to use manufacturers' data sheets.
– Discuss the analysis of circuits by Q points and by characteristics.