Covers the theory behind semiconductor operation. Describes the characteristics and operation of various diodes and transistors. Stresses the importance of proper environmental conditions and explains how to minimize electrostatic discharge (ESD) and radio frequency interference (RFI). Discusses printed circuit board (PCB) and integrated circuit (IC) technology, including connection and replacement methods. Identifies kinds of semiconductor packages. Explains how to interpret manufacturers' spec sheets and how to analyze circuit performance by Q points and characteristics. This course has no prerequisites. Semiconductors is available in online technical training and course manual formats.
TPC Training is authorized by IACET to offer 0.5 CEUs for this program.
Review a full course list for Instrumentation & Control Systems Technician
Electron flow; Semiconductor materials, structure, and doping; Junction diodes; Diode characteristic curves and specifications; LEDs; Photoelectric devices
Temperature protection; Static electricity; Wrist straps; Line power conditioning; Radio frequency and electromagnetic interference
Materials for boards and conductors; Single-, double-sided, and multilayer PCBs; Mounting components; What is Solder; Soldering; PCB connectors
– Discuss the advantages of PCBs over direct wiring.
– Explain why both flexible boards and rigid boards are used for printed circuits, and discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each.
– Explain how single-sided, double-sided, and multilayer boards are made.
– Describe the three classes of surface mount assemblies.
– Compare various soldering methods and discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each.
– What is Solder?
– Describe PCB connectors and mountings.
– Discuss PCB repair techniques and limitations.
Transistor purpose and structure; Symbols; Performance curves; Transistor connections, characteristics, and specifications; ICs
Lead identification; Mounting components; Replacement methods; Maximum ratings; Transistor operating points; characteristics