If you work with air conditioners or refrigerants, then you need your EPA 608 certification. Any person who opens a system or container holding a controlled refrigerant is required by the Federal Environmental Protection Agency to hold either a Type I, II, III, or Universal EPA 608 certification. Persons who work on stationary equipment or use refrigerant designed for these systems can become certified by passing a proctored EPA Section 608 examination. This certification card will allow you to lawfully purchase and dispose of refrigerants in the United States. 

The EPA 608 consists of four sections – Core, Type I, Type II, & Type III.

Core covers general refrigerant/regulation knowledge. Much of Type I, II, & III section material build on or relate to the Core section material. The student must pass the Core & at least one other section to receive a certification card. The core is not a certification in itself.

– Type I covers small appliances with 5lbs of refrigerant or less & sealed at the factory, such as domestic refrigerators, window air conditioners, PTAC's and vending machines. A certified Type I technician has passed both the Core and the Type I section.

– Type II covers equipment using high-pressure refrigerant (HCFC-22), including residential air conditioners and heat pumps, supermarket refrigeration, and process refrigeration.A certified Type II technician has passed both the Core and the Type II section.

– Type III covers equipment using a low-pressure refrigerant (HCFC-123 or CFC-11), primarily chillers. A certified Type III technician has passed both the Core and the Type III section.

– A Universal certification means you have passed all four sections – it’s another way to say you are certified as a Type I, II, & III technician. There is not a Universal section of the test.

The EPA 608 Certification is not a license. Anyone inquiring about obtaining an HVAC license should be directed to their state’s licensing website. The EPA 608 Certification only allows technicians to purchase and dispose of refrigerant and is only recognized in the United States.

The best way to become EPA 608 certified is by attending our 2-day Air Conditioning and Refrigeration seminar; the Universal EPA 608 exam is given at the end of the second day and is included in the price of the seminar.  We also offer both online and mail-in Core and Type I exams and proctored Universal exams apart from the seminar.  Type II, III and Universal exams cannon be taken online.


Sorry, no comments found for this article